- Lynn Karlin Photography
Originally from NYC, Lynn graduated from Pratt Institute. She lived the farm-to-table experience for 8 years after moving to a farm in Maine in 1983 and photographing her life living with the seasons. She has an impressive list of employers and clients over her four-decade career shooting fashion for WWD and W as the first woman staff photographer, as well as photographing gardens, food and interiors for Country Living magazine, House Beautiful, The New York Times Magazine, New York Magazine, Coastal Living, Gourmet, Design New England, BH&G, Garden Design, Organic Gardening, Yankee, British Gardens Illustrated, Random House, Rizzoli Books, Time & Life Books, The Clean Program, L.L.Bean, Swans Island Company, Rockport Granite, Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors, Taproot, Table, Ordinary, Edible and Zest magazines.
Sole photographer of three award winning garden/lifestyle books, she now adds fine art photography to the mix and works with clients in the food world. Lynn's body of work is purely personal. It is about the obvious but often overlooked beauty of the harvest. Visits to photograph at local Maine farmer's markets took a new direction when she brought a stunning purple cauliflower back to her studio and placed it on an old white pedestal by an east-facing window, honoring vegetables by literally placing them on a higher level. Lynn triumphs in showing her reverence for the remarkable colors and forms in the garden. "The Pedestal Series" and "The Tray Series" evoke, through beauty that is also sustenance, a sense of connectedness to this planet. She has also added simple man-made kitchen objects to her still-lifes again showing good design can be found everywhere if you take the time to really look.
Lynn's newest portrait series "Stories in Profile" takes on human subjects this time and shows the side that is often not seen and observed- the profile. "Photographing a person in profile is like discovering that person all over again."
Lynn's limited edition prints are available at galleries and select shops and are held by corporate and private collectors throughout the US and Europe.
BOOKS & CALENDARS:
Maine Farm, A Year of Country Life, written by Stanley Joseph; Random House.
Gardens Maine Style and Gardens Maine Style Act 11, written by Rebecca Sawyer-Fay; Downeast Books
- "Simply Raw" wall calendars; Amber Lotus Publishing; 2013 -2018
- "Super Foods" wall calendars: Amber Lotus Publishing: 2019 & 2021
2020-Prix de la Photographie Paris; Bronze Award, Series in Portrait Category
2020-15th Pollux Awards, Series in Portraiture Category; Honorable Mention
2020- AAP International Photo Awards & Magazine #10; Merit Award; Portraits
2020- 15th Edition Julia Margaret Cameron; Winner in Still Life Category
2020- New York Center for Photographic Arts; Juror's Selection; Botanicals
2019- Selected to be exhibited in Paris, France at the Edelkoort Gallery to represent Trend Union's "Green Wave" 2021 trend season; Still Life; Solo Show.
2019- Circle Foundation for the Arts; Finalist for Artist of the Year Awards; Lyon, Paris; Still Life.
2018- Maine Arts Commission Project Grant for Portrait Series
2018- Prix de la Photographie Paris; Honorable Mention, Portrait Category
2018- 2nd Robert Cornelius Portrait Award; Runner Up.
2017- The London International Creative Competition, Fine Art, The Tray Series
2017- Prix de la Photographie Paris; Gold Award, Fine Art, Still Life Series
2017- 10th Annual Pollux- Gala Awards- Winner in Portrait Category
2017- Center for Fine Art Photography; Winner in Portrait Category
2017- 12th Annual Black & White Spider Awards, Still Life
2016- International Color Award: Honorable Mention; Food Category
2016- 8th Edition Julia Margaret Cameron Award; Winner in Fine Art Category.
2015- 10th Annual Black & White Spider Awards; Outstanding Achievement in the Still Life Category.
2015- Prix De La Photographie Paris; Gold Award, Fine Art, Still Life Series
2015- Garden Writers Association; Gold Award for Best Photography.
2015- 7th Edition Julia Margaret Cameron Award; Winner in Still Life & Abstractions Category.
2015- 7th Pollux Awards; Runner- up, Still Life category.
2015- Griffin Museum of Photography's 21st Juried Exhibition; Winchester, MA.
2015- International Color Award; Honorable Mention; Food.
2015- ArtForward; Bronze Award Winner.
2014- London International Creative Competition Honorable Mention.
2014 - The Center for Fine Art Photography; Fort Collins, Colorado; International Still Life Competition; Best of Show.
2013 - San Francisco International Photography Exhibition, Gallery Photographica; Gold Medal Winner.
2013 - Photo District News, Objects of Desire; Food and Still Life Category.
2013 - Garden Writers Association Media Awards, Silver Awards of Achievement for Photography in 4 categories.
2012 - Merit Award, Color + B/W Magazine.
"The Pedestal Series" and the "Still Lifes" series, a fine art series is sold in three limited edition sizes, framed or unframed. "The Tray Series" is sold as an open edition. The photographs are professionally printed and framed using the finest archival materials. For availability of prints, pricing, purchasing and to see additional images, please give us a call at 207-338-4814 or email email@example.com. We'd be happy to work with you.
- IMAGE SIZES FOR PEDESTAL SERIES AND STILL LIVES:
- prices start at $500
- 10.5 x 16 in. Edition of 20 ( framed, approx. 18 x 24 in.)
- 16 x 24 in. Edition of 12 ( framed, approx. 26 x 35 in.)
- 24 x 36 in. Edition of 6 ( framed, approx. 36 x 49 in.)
- IMAGE SIZES FOR SQUARE TRAY SERIES:
- prices start at $400
- 9 x 9, 15 x 15, 20 x 20, 26 x 26, 34 x 34.
- Open Editions.
- Customized framing available.
Photographs are also available as dye-infused aluminum prints.
Maine Mag. https://tinyurl.com/jt5pz3c
Bangor Daily News http://tinyurl.com/hrbdtwq
San Francisco Chronicle http://tinyurl.com/pulvcel
The New York Times http://tinyurl.com/nrs8h9a
Design New England http://tinyurl.com/lmt9h7h
London's Sunday Telegraph http://tinyurl.com/lsjgu26
- CURRENT EXHIBITS 2020
- Frontier- Restaurant and Theatre; Making the Ordinary Extraordinary; Vegetable Portraits; Fort Andross Mill, Brunswick, Maine; February 2020 (on hold, date to be announced. ); www.exploremaine.com
- ONGOING EXHIBITS AND REPRESENTATION:
- Maine Farmland Trust - Belfast, Maine.
- Kingman Gallery - Deer Isle, Maine.
- Leslie Curtis Designs - 10 Bayview Street; Camden, Maine.
- United Farmers Market of Maine - 18 Spring Street, Belfast, Maine; www.belfastmarket.com
- Juxtapose -43 Cottage Street, Bar Harbor, Maine; 207-288-2215
- Warm Springs Gallery- Warm Springs, VA.; www. warmspringsgallery.com
- PAST EXHIBITIONS:
- Edelkoort Gallery, Paris, France; Solo Show; The Pedestal Series; 2019.
- Thos. Moser Gallery, Freeport, Maine.
- Kingman Gallery, Deer Isle, Maine; Solo Show; Still-Lifes; 2019.
- Maine Jewish Museum, Portland; Art of The Vegetable, Solo Show; 2019.
- Maine State House, Augusta, Maine; Vegetable Still-Lifes; 2018.
- Maine Museum of Photographic Arts, Glickman Library; Portland, ME; Contemporary Portraiture; 2018.
- Warm Springs Gallery; Warm Springs, VA.; Solo Show, Still Lifes; 2018.
- The Center for Fine Art Photography; Fort Collins, Colorado; Portraits 2018.
- 4th Biennial Fine Art & Documentary Photography; Berlin, Germany; 2016.
- Maine Farmland Trust, Belfast, Maine; Solo Show; October 2016.
- Griffin Museum of Photography; "Nourish"; Boston, MA.; 2015.
- Griffin Museum of Photography's 21st Juried Exhibition; Winchester, MA.; 2015.
- Kingman Gallery, Deer Isle, Maine; "Inspired from Nature"; Solo Show; 2015.
- Islesford Dock Restaurant & Gallery; Little Cranberry Island, Maine; 2015.
- Vox Photographs; Portland, Maine; "Natural"; 2015.
- The Boston Print Fair at Boston Design Week ; Represented by 555 Gallery; 2015.
- The Center for Fine Art Photography; Fort Collins, Colorado; International Still Life Competition; Best of Show; 2014.
- Maine Farmland Trust Gallery, solo show; "Natural Beauties"; Belfast, ME.; 2014.
- James Beard House Greenhouse Gallery, NYC; 2013.
- San Francisco International Photography Exhibition, Gallery Photographica; 2013.
- Gallery on the Green, Pawling, New York; (See Anne Raver's write-up in The New York Times above.) The Pedestal Series; 2012
- Ethel H. Blum Gallery, College of the Atlantic; Bar Harbor, Maine; 2011.
- Palmina F. & Stephen S. Pace Galleries of Fryeburg Academy - Fryeburg, Maine; 2012.
- George Marshall Store Gallery, York, Maine; 2012.
- Anita Pegnini-Raber Gallery, Rehoboth Beach, DE.; 2011.
- Hammertown stores and galleries, Rhinebeck & Pine Plains, New York; 2010.
- Carver Hill Gallery, Rockport, Maine; 2010.
Maine Media Workshops, Rockport, Maine; Still Life & Styling; 2017; www.mainemedia.edu
All photographs on this site are the sole property of lynnkarlinphoto.com. For licensing terms or other information please give us a call.
Edelkoort Gallery, Paris, 2019
The Pedestal Series